Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Tornado in Manhattan

I wasn't able to blog last week as we were on vacation in Florida. My plan is to catch up and post some pictures of our trip but of course I had to do some catch up at work first.

Before I start blogging about our trip. Last week, while we were gone a tornado hit a town just 30 miles west of Manhattan, which then continued through and hit here. Chapman is 80% destroyed. Many of our friends lost homes there. Even if a home hadn't taken a direct hit, some were moved on their foundation which now makes them structurally unsafe.

My photographer friend Chris, who took the girls' pictures, drove around and took some amazing pictures. This link will take you to a slide show that shows the devastation.

We are fine. Wamego did have a couple of funnel clouds go over but nothing touched down. We are blessed.

2 comments:

Tara said...

That's scary! We've come close to quite a few tornadoes here in MO as well. I've never been around such wild weather - it reminds me of Germany sometimes, 4 seasons in a day.

Sonja said...

Oh I'm so happy your safe. Rob called and said a tornado hit Manhattan. I forgot the town your new home is in. .....I'm glad your safe. FL huh?